Sunday, December 18, 2011

Extremities

Extremities - It's not a word I often write, but it's one that I've been thinking a lot about lately on my commute to Pullman. I feel the cold most acutely on my toes, fingers, nose and cheeks. The early part of my ride is the coldest. I haven't warmed up yet, so I feel a chill all over my body. However, once I hit the trail, I can crouch low on my handlebars (aerobars). In this way, the wind no longer hits my face directly and my hands are free to move. I feel that welcome tingle in these extremities as warmth returns.

Keeping my toes warm has proven most elusive. I wear a thin pair of wool socks, a thick pair of wool socks over the thin pair, bike shoes (cleats) and finally neoprene booties over the shoes. The booties repel water and block the wind. My bike shoes are ideal for summer biking because they are ventilated, allowing air to pass freely over my feet. The booties block cold, winter air. Despite these many layers, however, my toes still get painfully cold. As I ride, I wiggle my toes in vain. When I arrive in my office, I pull off the booties and shoes and rub life back into my numb extremities. Perhaps a pair of insulated, winter bike shoes will make Santa's wish list for next Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment