Monday, December 12, 2011

Hoarfrost

This past week has been cold but clear. Temperatures in the morning have been in the low 20s, then it gets warmer during the day - up to the mid 30s. We had some fog over the weekend which produced the most beautful hoarfrost along the trail. This morning's ride was brisk but very picturesque. I've included a couple of pictures of the hoarfrost I saw this morning.




Last week on my way home to Moscow, I got a flat tire. Fortunately, I was just coming into Moscow when the tire went flat. I used my little hand-held pump that I carry with me to inflate the tire just enough to get me to a bus stop. I put the bike on the front of the bus, which dropped me off 2 blocks from home.

There is some really sharp gravel on the trail that is capable of piercing tires. I ride with block treads, which give me a smoother ride than I would have with heavier treads. I thought that my treads would do better against the gravel. It's entirely possible that I ran over something sharper and stronger than gravel. I just don't know. In any event, I wondered what I would do if I got a flat tire in the middle of the trail, at night and in the cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment